Tuesday, March 2, 2010

DIY Silhouette Plate

Today I decided to do something non-wedding related. I have been so consumed with RSVP cards, aisle runners, dress alterations, and everything else involved with planning a wedding that I wanted to make something that had nothing to do with weddings! The funny thing is, while I was making this I decided to incorporate this into the wedding (lol) as our charger plates using our monogram.

A few months ago I purchased a book called "The Big-Ass Book of Crafts" and while looking through it I found this guide to making your own silhouette plate.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED: (as per the book)

- Glass Plate, in any size
- Black acrylic paint, in any brand (I used Americana)
- What spray paint (I used Krylon white gloss)
- Flat artist brushes in various sizes (I would recommend getting a small round brush if you have an intricate design)
- Clear coat spray paint (I used Krylon)
- Image of what you would like on your plate (I did a google search and picked a swirl I liked)
- Sharpie marker, fine tip in black (I didn't like that after you painted your design you could still see the marker if you got really close. I will try and find a different item to use)

HERE'S HOW:

1. Enlarge your image to fit the plate you have. (this is the image I used)

2. Tape the picture on the front ot the plate, upside down. You will be tracing it on the back of the plate.

3. Trace image onto the back of the plate with your marker.
4. Fill in the tracing with the black acrylic paint, using your artist brushes (This will take several coats)
(almost finished with 1st coat)

(after 3 coats)

5. To see if you missed any spots, hold the plate up to the light and look at the front of the plate.
6. Once you filled in the image and the paint has dried, spray the back of the plate with white (or any color) spray paint.
7. After the paint is dry, apply 3 coats of the clear spray to the back of the plate, letting it dry at least 30 minutes between each coat
8. Once its dry, you can either hang it on the wall as art, or eat dinner off it. Its up to you!

I dont know what I will be doing with mine yet. For now it will sit in a box until I can get a stand for it and put it on my bookcase.  I am really pleased with how it turned out. While I was painting it (I'm not the best painter) I thought it will never look like the one in the book, but I am really happy with how it looks. Even with the crooked lines! lol



*If you decide to eat off these, do not put them in the dishwasher. Hand wash only!!

Here's what I will be trying on the next plates:

Our monogram charger plates (If this goes well I would like to make one for each of our bridal party with their name, instead of our monogram.)









A blue bird (I think I will be spray painting the background dark blue)











Crazy designs












So be on the look out!

No comments:

Post a Comment